Dr Christine Raab
Director of Melbourne Psychology & Counselling
Clinical Psychologist / Registered Supervisor
Chris provides a safe, collaborative and warm therapeutic space in which clients can address their difficulties and develop increased insight. She works with clients to improve their emotional wellbeing and reduce symptoms by helping clients to reduce their avoidance or numbing of their feelings. Instead the therapeutic focus is to develop the ability to recognise, name, and sit with difficult emotions without feeling overwhelmed, and therefore to better identify and meet basic personal and interpersonal needs.
Chris is skilled at working with clients experiencing difficulties after traumatic events by focussing on practical, emotional and interpersonal recovery. The goal of trauma therapy is to re-establish safety and a sense of self, and to rebuild trust with other people.
Chris recognises that clients from a diversity of backgrounds need and prefer diverse approaches. Chris enjoys collaborating with clients to develop the best therapeutic approach to suit their needs.
Chris has over 15-years experience as a counsellor and clinical psychologist. She has worked in private practice, public mental health and the community sector. She trained as a Counsellor in 1996 and has since completed a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at Swinburne University. She has also trained in emotion-focussed therapy, as well as seeking specific training in psychodynamic therapy, cognitive-behaviour and acceptance-commitment therapy.
Chris enjoys working with:
- Emotional difficulties and/or use of addictive or numbing behaviours to manage feelings.
- Recovery from of trauma and sexual, physical or emotional abuse.
- Clients experiencing symptoms of anxiety, depression and panic attacks.
- Life transitions and existential concerns (including grief and loss)
- Clients from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Clients from LGBTI communities or who are questioning their sexuality or gender identity.
- Training psychologists completing their clinical registrar program.
Other Professional Interests
- Chris has worked in a range of education, advocacy, and human rights organisations in Australia, the UK, Germany and Guatemala.
- Completed research on psychological practice with culturally-diverse clients.
- Currently offers training to psychologists and schools on working with culturally diverse clients/students, and on working with traumatised people and self-care for psychologist and those working in the caring professions.
- Doctor of Clinical Psychology – Swinburne University
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling & Human Services - La Trobe University
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons) - University of Melbourne