Dr Richard Davies
Richard promotes a therapeutic environment that allows people to be themselves, open up to possibilities and securely manage change. He is sensitive to individuality and values philosophy, where the big questions about life are explored.
Richard works with clients to reduce the power of difficult thoughts and feelings. He encourages clients to pick up ignored but valued life directions and collaborates with them to get closer to the person they want to be.
Richard has experience working in the public and private sectors of mental health supporting young adults through to older persons from many different cultural backgrounds, presenting with a diverse range of mental health issues. He concurrently works in a rehabilitation hospital supporting patients struggling with chronic pain and mental health issues related to recovery from medical or surgical procedures.
Richard enjoys working with:
- Difficulties arising from negative thoughts, feelings and bodily sensations.
- Recovery from trauma, neglect and abuse.
- Relationship, gender and sexuality issues.
- Grief/loss and existential issues.
- Self-confidence and self-esteem issues.
- Problems with attention, boredom and loneliness.
- Anxiety disorders including panic, phobias and excessive worry.
Other Professional Interests
- Richard facilitates Mindfulness and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy group programs at a rehabilitation clinic and has produced a hospital inpatient radio channel providing continuous relaxation and mindfulness sessions to patients.
- He has completed research examining the effectiveness of psychological measurement of personality traits which are involved in the regulation of self-esteem. He has also given presentations on self-esteem measurement.
- He is interested in the development and use of psychological scales that measure personality factors and the therapeutic interpretation of these scales.
- MPsych (Clinical)/PhD - University of Melbourne
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology - University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology - Monash University
- Bachelor of Arts - University of Newcastle, NSW
Dr Richard Davies (ABN 20 672 691 598) is an independent psychologist practicing from the MPC consulting rooms.